As the sun is setting earlier and the evening chill is getting cooler, it’s only natural we’re craving some warm nutritious recipes using our protein-packed foods. With the first day of fall approaching on September 23rd, we’re kicking off the start of autumn with 3 tasty recipes to fall in love with.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 can (5oz) Wild Planet Organic Roasted Chicken Breast
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa or rice
- 16 oz chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings of choice (chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream, lime, etc.)
Remove Wild Planet Organic Roasted Chicken Breast from the can and cut or shred into bite-size pieces. Place in a bowl with juices from the can, set aside. In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions in the olive oil until onions soften and become slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring to avoid burning. Add the corn, Wild Planet Organic Roasted Chicken Breast, beans, and quinoa or rice. Stir to combine ingredients and pour in broth. Add cumin, oregano, chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir soup and continue to cook over medium heat until heated through. Lower heat and keep at a low simmer until ready to eat. Ladle into bowls and add toppings as desired.
Yellowtail Baked Eggs
Makes 2 servings
- 1 can (4.4oz) Wild Yellowtail Fillets In Extra Virgin Olive
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toasted bread, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat olive oil in a small/medium cast-iron pan over medium heat. Place mushrooms in the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes or until slightly browned. Add garlic, shallot, spinach and sauté for about one minute or until spinach is just wilted. Take the pan off the heat and crack eggs over cooked vegetables. Break up Wild Yellowtail Fillets slightly in the can and add yellowtail pieces on top of vegetables and eggs. Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes or until egg whites are set but yolks are not. Top with salt and pepper. Serve with toasted bread.
Sardine Rotini Pasta
- 2 cans (4.4oz each) Wild Planet Wild Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, undrained
- 1/2 lb rotini, rigatoni or other dried pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Optional: 2 tsp capers, rinsed and drained & 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
Place Wild Planet Wild Sardines and juices from the cans into a large bowl. Flake with a fork to separate tuna into bite size pieces. Cook the pasta in a large pot of generously salted water following package directions, drain. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and lightly browned. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, garlic, capers, olives and tuna with juices. Heat through and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the sardine sauce with the hot cooked rotini and sprinkle with parsley.
What’s your favorite recipe to celebrate fall with? Let us know in the comments below!